Historic Federal Courthouses in New Orleans
U.S. Custom House and Post Office
Completed in 1860.
Architect: Alexander Thompson Wood
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here 1866 until 1915; the U.S. Circuit Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana met here until that court was abolished in 1912; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit met here from 1891 until 1915.
Now the Audubon Nature Institute.
By Marie Adrien Persac
Ink and wash on pasteboard; 1873
Courtesy The Historic New Orleans Collection
Source: U.S. Treasury Department, A History of Public Buildings (Washington, D.C.: GPO, 1901): 212-15.