Considering COVID has limited the court’s physical capacity to accommodate jury trials and because the court has a large backlog of cases set for jury trial, the court has adopted the following criteria for determining which trials will proceed first:
1. Criminal trials will be selected ahead of civil;
2. Then lower-numbered criminal cases involving detained defendants ahead of higher;
3. Then lower-numbered criminal cases not involving detained defendants ahead of higher;
4. Then lower-numbered civil cases;
5. Except when extraordinary circumstances require that a case be scheduled for a higher priority, to be worked out between and among the affected judges.
The COVID -19 restrictions and precautions we have implemented will limit the space available to accommodate jury trials so we will be unable to conduct more than 2 or 3 trials at a time.