Eastern District of Louisiana Upgraded to NextGen CM/ECF
on November 12, 2019
On November 12, 2019, the Eastern District of Louisiana adopted the NextGen CM/ECF system. Filers must take the steps listed below to file electronically in EDLA. Until November 12, 2019, electronic filers were required to maintain one account for each court’s CM/ECF system in which he or she was permitted to practice. PACER accounts were used for research and viewing court record documents.
NextGen CM/ECF simplifies the electronic filing process by combining all of your CM/ECF filing accounts for each NextGen court and PACER accounts into a single “Central Sign-On” account. You will no longer need a separate CM/ECF account for each NextGen court. Your Central Sign-On account will permit you to both view documents through PACER and to file documents electronically through the CM/ECF systems of the NextGen courts where you have permission to file (District, Bankruptcy and Appellate).
Attorneys who want to file electronically in the Eastern District of Louisiana must follow the instructions below.
Two steps are required to be able to file electronically in the CM/ECF NextGen system:
Step 1 – Ensure that you have an upgraded PACER account
Did you obtain your individual PACER account before August 11, 2014?
Go to www.pacer.gov and click on “Manage My Account.” If your account type is Legacy, click “Upgrade” and follow the required steps. Once you have an upgraded PACER account, you must follow Step 2 below.
Did you obtain your individual PACER account after August 11, 2014?
Your individual PACER account is already upgraded. You must now follow Step 2 below to be able to file electronically in the EDLA CM/ECF NextGen system.
Do you share a PACER account?
You must obtain your own individual PACER account to be able to file electronically in NextGen.
Go to www.pacer.gov and click on “Register” to create a new individual account.
CJA Panel Attorneys
CJA panel attorneys must (1) have one upgraded individual PACER account; and (2) add CJA exempt privileges to that account for billing purposes. That one individual PACER account will allow you to toggle back and forth between CJA matters and private practice matters. Follow the instructions in the “CJA Privileges in NextGen” link below.
PACER Administrative Accounts ('PAA')
PACER offers a PAA to centralize PACER billing for multiple attorneys in a single firm. To register for a PAA, please visit: www.pacer.gov/reg_firm.html. Attorneys with a PAA account still must have an individual account for electronic filing.
Forgot your PACER account information?
Go to www.pacer.gov/reqpswd.html or call (800) 676-6856 for password reset and/or username retrieval instructions.
Step 2 – Link your CM/ECF account with your upgraded PACER account.
Linking is a one-time process that can be completed only once now that the court is live on NextGen CM/ECF. Failure to link your CM/ECF account(s) with your upgraded individual PACER account will prevent you from filing electronically.
How to Link your CM/ECF Account to Your PACER Account
- Link CM/ECF Account to PACER Account
- You must know your EDLA CM/ECF username and password
- Go to: www.laed.uscourts.gov
- Click on the link for CM/ECF Login. You will be prompted for your PACER login.
- Login with PACER credentials
- Go to Utilities à Link a CM/ECF account to my PACER account
- Enter EDLA CM/ECF login and password; click Submit
- Confirm that this is your account and click Submit on the next screen
- Refresh your browser. You can now file in NextGen
- Once you have linked your EDLA CM/ECF filing account with your PACER account, you may file documents electronically by going to the EDLA website, www.laed.uscourts.govon the link for CM/ECF Login. You will be prompted for your PACER login.
Forgot your CM/ECF account information?
For Eastern District Court of Louisiana Accounts
- If you have forgotten your login or password, email the Attorney Registration Group, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, at ECF_Registration@laed.uscourts.gov or call ECF Registration at the EDLA Clerk’s Office, (504) 589-7657 to request that the password be reset.
- Do not register for a new CM/ECF filing account if you already have one and have forgotten the password. A request for a new CM/ECF filing account will be rejected if the filer already has a CM/ECF filing account with the EDLA.
Do you practice in multiple Federal Courts?
If you practice in more than one Federal Court, you must link each of those CM/ECF accounts with your one upgraded PACER account on each court’s go-live date as each court adopts NextGen.
Who do I contact for help with my PACER account?
All PACER account maintenance requests are handled by the PACER Service Center (800-676-6856). You will need your PACER account number when contacting PACER.
- Upgrade your existing individual Pacer Account
- Register for a new individual PACER account
- Detailed Instructions for Linking your CM/ECF Account to your PACER account
- CJA Exempt Status Instructions for NextGen
- Activating CJA Privileges in NextGen
LAED On the web at www.laed.uscourts.gov/nextgen-information
Email us at ECF_Registration@laed.uscourts.gov
Call us at (504) 589-7657 or (504) 589-7788
PACER On the web at www.pacer.gov
Email the PACER Service Center at email@example.com
Call PACER at (800) 676-6856