You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What are the Federal holidays?

    Please see Court Holidays.

  • How are judges assigned to cases?

    All civil and criminal cases are assigned randomly to a judge and a magistrate judge at the time of filing.

  • What discovery material should be filed with the clerk's office?

    Rule 5(d) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure states "...disclosures under Rule 26 (a)(1) or (2) and the following discovery requests and responses must not be filed until they are used in the proceeding or the court orders filing:

    (i)   depositions,
    (ii)   interrogatories,
    (iii)  requests for documents or to permit entry upon land, and
    (iv)  request for admission."

    In addition, see Local Rule 26 for information regarding submission of the proposed discovery plan.

  • Who issues and serves the summons?

    The clerk signs, seals and issues the summons to the plaintiff. The plaintiff is responsible for service of the summons and complaint on the defendant. Service may be effected by anyone at least 18 years of age who is not a party to the suit. See FRCvP 4.

  • Can an attorney issue a civil subpoena?

    Pursuant to FRCvP 45, an attorney may issue a subpoena on behalf of a court in which the attorney is authorized to practice or a court for a district in which a deposition or production is compelled if it pertains to an action in a court where the attorney is authorized to practice.

  • What is the amount of the attendance fee paid to a witness in federal court?

    The attendance fee currently paid to a witness in federal court is $40 per day, plus a travel allowance equal to the mileage allowance which the Administrator or General Services has prescribed. See 28 USC § 1821.

  • Where are case and party indices located?

    Case and party indices are located in the clerk's office.

    Information for civil cases filed on and after July 1, 1989 and for criminal cases filed on and after March 1, 1993 is available in electronic form. Terminals in the clerk's office may be used to access this information. Some cases that were closed prior to December 31, 1991 may be archived and can be retrieved on request.

    Party names for civil cases filed prior to 1989 and for criminal cases filed prior to 1993 are available on microfiche.

  • How do I get a transcript?

    A transcript of a trial or other court proceeding may be ordered directly from the court reporter or from the court reporter coordinator.

    Please see Contact a Court Reporter.

  • Can I file a pleading by fax?

    No. We do not accept fax filings.

  • Can you fax other documents to me?

    The clerk's office does not send copies of other documents by fax.

  • How do I obtain a commercial surety bond?

    You may obtain a commercial surety bond only from a certified company approved by the U.S. Treasury.  A list of approved surety companies may be found at the U.S. Department of the Treasury website.

  • How can I obtain a Petition for Naturalization (Form N-405) and get information about applying for citizenship?

    Applicants for citizenship must file a Petition for Naturalization (Form-405) with the Citizenship & Immigration Service (CIS). All requirements of the CIS must be fulfilled prior to receiving the Certificate of Naturalization. To obtain petition forms and naturalization information, please contact the CIS office.

    Citizenship & Immigration Service
    2424 Edenborn Ave., Suite 300
    Metairie, LA 70001
  • Where are the court's naturalization records located?

    Inquires regarding the court's naturalization records should be directed to:

    Clerk's Office
    U.S. District Court
    500 Poydras St., Room C-151
    New Orleans, LA  70130
    (504) 589-7654
  • How will I be notified of my naturalization ceremony date?

    Approximately two to three weeks prior to the ceremony, the Citizenship & Immigration Service will send you a written notice of the date and time to report.

  • I lost my certificate of naturalization. Can I get a copy from the court?

    No. You must contact the Citizenship & Immigration Service office that issued the certificate or go to their website at for form N-565.

  • Can I get verification of citizenship from the court?

    Yes. The clerk's office can verify citizenship information derived from court records. Contact the office in the city where your naturalization ceremony was conducted.

  • Does the court issue passports?

    No, this court does not issue passports.

    Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State.  You may contact the National Passport Information Center at 1 (877) 487-2778 or go to their website at